Brigadier General Bernard Barrera, current commander of the 3rd Mechanized Brigade (3rd BM) Clermont-Ferrand, will lead the forces of device Serval. He commanded the land forces deployed by France in the territory of Mali.
The third BM, about 5000 strong military and civilians and 650 reservists, consists of five main formations that are all engaged in Serval:
- The 92nd Infantry Regiment in Clermont-Ferrand.
- The 126th Infantry Regiment in Brive-la-Gaillarde.
- The 1st Marine Infantry Regiment of Angoulême.
- The 68th artillery regiment Africa in Valbonne.
- The 31st Engineer Regiment Castelsarrasin.
General Barrera will control the land component in Mali, Air component being controlled N'Djamena.
The operational command finds him in Dakar (EFS reinforced), it is generally entrusted to Saint-Quentin.
In Paris, the General Corps Didier Castres directs operations from French CPCO, "under the responsibility of ECS," which is the big boss of the entire operation.